cp: error processing extended attributes: Operation not permitted
Robert Cerny
2005-05-07 14:37:53 UTC
Hi everyone,
I get errors in <subj> since upgrade to Tiger. They are produced by
my scripts in /etc/daily. It looks like the scripts are correctly
handled by the error appears in the log everytime.

Does anyone know what's the problem?

Sample script:

#!/bin/sh
#
logger -i "Auto-publishing entries for MT"

cd /Library/WebServer/Documents/mt; ./tools/run-periodic-task

Thanks
Robert
Markus Hitter
2005-05-07 15:01:01 UTC
Post by Robert Cerny
Does anyone know what's the problem?
cd /Library/WebServer/Documents/mt; ./tools/run-periodic-task
Whatever "run-periodic-task" does, it seems to be a shell script using
the "cp" command. Can you run the line above from a shell as user root?
Is the /etc/daily script run as root (add a line containing "id")? Do
you have extended attributes enabled on the volume in question?

While I don't have a solution, you might stumble over the real problem
when answering the questions above.

HTH,
Markus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/
Martin Costabel
2005-05-07 15:45:14 UTC
Post by Robert Cerny
Hi everyone,
I get errors in <subj> since upgrade to Tiger. They are produced by my
scripts in /etc/daily. It looks like the scripts are correctly handled
by the error appears in the log everytime.
I think everybody gets these errors (unless they changed the standard
cron jobs completely). They are caused by the line

cp /dev/null $tmp_output

in the script /usr/sbin/periodic. Tiger's resource-fork-aware cp doesn't
seem to like /dev/null.
Martin
Creed Erickson
2005-05-09 15:03:47 UTC
Post by Martin Costabel
Post by Robert Cerny
Hi everyone,
I get errors in <subj> since upgrade to Tiger. They are produced
by my scripts in /etc/daily. It looks like the scripts are
correctly handled by the error appears in the log everytime.
I think everybody gets these errors (unless they changed the
standard cron jobs completely). They are caused by the line
cp /dev/null $tmp_output
in the script /usr/sbin/periodic. Tiger's resource-fork-aware cp
doesn't seem to like /dev/null.
Huh? I don't see any error from that line:

$ export tmp_output=/tmp/35221/junk.junk
$ cp /dev/null $tmp_output
$ ls -l $tmp_output
-rw-r--r-- 1 creed wheel 0 May 9 07:57 /tmp/35221/junk.junk
$ /usr/bin/sw_vers
ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.4
BuildVersion: 8A428
Shantonu Sen
2005-05-09 16:28:30 UTC
This is a feature of Mac OS X Tiger.

futurama:/tmp ssen$ cp /dev/null /tmp/foo
futurama:/tmp ssen$ tail -1 /var/log/system.log
May 9 09:27:53 shantonu-sens-power-mac-g5 cp: error processing
extended attributes: Operation not permitted
futurama:/tmp ssen$

Shantonu